Sugaring, which is also known as Persian waxing or sugar waxing, is an ancient hair removal practice that dates back to the Eygptian era.
Sugaring has increased in popularity in recent years as an all natural form of hair removal, without the pain associated with waxing and other hair removal methods.
How does Sugaring work?
The fundamentals of Sugaring are very similar to Waxing, a sticky substance is applied to the hairs and then removed taking the hairs out from the root.
Unlike Waxing, the sugar paste does not stick to the skin, more specifically it does not stick to live skin cells but has the benefit of removing dead skin cells in the process. This ensures little or no discomfort during or after treatment.
The Sugar paste can also be applied at room temperature. This has obvious benefits to anyone who has felt the results of over-hot wax being applied to skin!
This also means that Sugaring is a great option for removing hair from large areas at a time.
Sugaring Paste vs Gel
There are two main types of sugaring products – paste and gel (wax).
Sugaring paste is widely used by top salons but is not as readily available for home use. The paste comes in a much thicker form than the gel and can be applied directly using hands as opposed to needing the use of a stick or spatula.
Sugaring Hair Removal
The paste is beneficial for very short hairs as it can be used to remove hair as small as 1/16 of an inch, which means no waiting for regrowth between treatments.
The paste is used by molding the paste in the opposite direction of the hair and removing the hair in the same direction as the growth.
The gel on the other hand is used by applying the gel in the direction of hair growth and removing it in the opposite direction.
The gel is not as effective on shorter hairs as it requires the hair to be at leaat 1/4 of an inch in length to be effective.
It is also worth noting that the sugar paste used by professional salons and the sugar paste available at shops may be completely different.
Most sugar paste available in shops is made with wax while professional pastes tend to be sugar based with other natural ingredients. These natural products do not have a long shelf life and as such, products manufactured for retail sale tend to opt for the wax base.
Sugaring Paste Recipe
Some people prefer to make their own sugaring paste at home. Here’s the traditional recipe:
- 2 Cups of White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup of Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Water
Lets take a closer look at the Pros and Cons of this method of hair removal.
Pros of Sugaring
- It is ideal for large areas and as a result, a treatment does not take as long to preform
- It does not dry out quickly like wax so it can be applied to a greater area at once
- The paste and gels for sugaring are much easier to clean up – can be wiped off with water.
- Sugaring can be performed at home, using ingredients you probably already have
- Sugaring is gentler than regular waxing and can be reapplied straight away to an area that has just been waxed – ideal for missed hairs
- Frequent sugaring can actually cause the hairs to permanently stop growing as it can damage the hair follicle.
Cons of Sugaring
- Most salons don’t offer Sugaring as a hair removal option and as such, it can be difficult to find a professional to provide the treatment
- Salons tend to use the gel rather than the paste – opt for the paste
- There is a risk that if applied incorrectly and the subsequent irritation is not tended to – it can actually cause skin infection
- It’s difficult to get the consistency just right
- Roughly 2-5 days of hair growth is needed after you shave
Sugar StripEase Hair Removal
For those of us who prefer to look after our own waxing in the comfort of our own home the Sugar Stripease Hair Remover is a great option. It is 100% natural , made from only Sucrose and Water and is suitable for all parts of the body. This has lots of positive reviews and its easy to see why, its easy to heat up, you can do it in the microwave and washes away with water for a clean finish.
Have you tried Sugaring, share your experience with us!