Silk’n Flash and Go Review
The Silk’n Flash and Go HPL Hair Removal System by Home Skinovations Limited is one of the most popular Home Hair Removal devices in the UK but is the unique HPL technology as effective in removing hair as other high energy home IPL machines out there. Lets find out.
SILK’N FLASH & GO HIGHLIGHTS
- HPL Technology (Home Pulsed Light Technology)
- Clinically Proven and FDA approved
- Claims 90% reduction in hair growth with results visible after 3-4 treatments
- Suitable for Face and Body
- 1000 pulses (plus free 1000 pulse cartridge)
- Price Range £128.99 – £229.00
- HPL (Home Pulsed Light) Technology – The Silk’n Flash and Go uses HPL Technology which is like a gentler Version of IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) specifically designed to be safe for home use – hence there is a much lower risk of damaging tissue surrounding the treatment area.
- Skin Colour Sensor Feature – We love this feature, this in-built sensor scans the colour of skin prior to treatment and will only pulse on skin that is suitable for treatment, it will not pulse on dark skin tones. This is a great additional safety feature that takes away some of the guess work if you have a medium to dark skin tone and are not sure if this product is for you.
- The Price – the Silk’n Flash and Go is competitively priced at nearly £150 cheaper than other home IPL devices such as the Philips Lumea 2006/11, however dont forget to take into account the need for replacement cartridges with this device which others may not need due to having 100,000 plus pulses to the Silk’n Flash and Go’s 1000 pulses.
- Replacement Cartridges will be required – The cartridge life of the standard Silk’n Flash and Go is 1000 pulses which is plenty according to the guys at Silk’n who advise that each use on the face and neck area requires only approximately 20 flashes. Users report that 1 bulb will provide approx 6 treatments to Lower Legs, Underarms and Bikini. So considering the extra bulb that is included you are looking at about 12 treatments. Alternatively you could get the Silk’n Flash and Go Luxx which has 245,000 flashes.
- Not Cordless – Unlike some other devices in this category the Silk’n Flash and Go has to be plugged in to the mains when in use so it is not as portable as other devices. Some users find this a positive as they can treat all areas at the one time without having to worry about having enough charge left to finish the area.
Clinically Proven Technology designed for home use – HPL (Home Pulsed Light) technology has been designed to capture all of the clinical benefits of pulsed light for hair removal at home but using a much lower energy level than you will find in other home hair removal devices. This lower energy means that there is no requirement to cool the skin during treatment, it also reduces the potential risk of complications or damage to the treatment area, ensuring peace of mind and a comfortable treatment.
Similar to IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) technology for hair removal,
HOW TO USE
The Silk’n Flash and Go is quick and easy to set up and comes with an instruction DVD that tells you everything you need to know.
There are 3 intensity settings and it is recommended to start with the lowest setting for your first treatment. The device actually has a built in safety feature which means that the first 50 pulses of light are at the lowest energy setting by default. This can, however be overidden should you wish by simply holding down the ‘+’ and ‘-‘ buttons together until you hear a bleep.
To use you device you simply press it to the skin so the built-in sensor can detect the skin tone and determine whether it is safe to pulse the area with light. Once safe, it flashes to indicate you can use the first pulse.
You press the button and a camera flash of light is sent to your skin, thats it! you can move onto your next area.
DOES IT HURT?
Reviews of this product are on the whole positive, it is a much less of a financial outlay to begin with than many of the similar devices out there, so in that sense it is a good option if you want to try and see if the HPL technology works for you.
What lets this product down is the lifetime of the cartridge at only 1000 flashes this is comparatively very low and means that you have the hassle and expense of buying replacements and ensuring the cartridge does not run out of flashes mid treatment!
Silk’n have however resolved the issue with the release of the Silk’n Flash and Go LUXX device which comes with a 120,000 flash cartridge and an additional 5,000 flash precision cartridge for those harder to reach places. Better than that you can actually replace the cartridges which is not an option with many other devices. New models of the Flash and Go have 245,000 flashes.
The Silk’n Flash and Go LUXX is priced in the region of £150 – £250. It combines all of the benefits of the Silk’n Flash & Go such as the additional safety features, HPL Technology and colour sensor and packages this with a long lasting cartridge to make it a highly competitive offering in the home hair removal market.
Overall Rating Go for the Luxx model for the best value